Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Postcards from South Africa - JBay : 100708


Gdaaaay Maaaate,

It is a habit, for some reason when I’m around Aussies I start to speak with a twang, Maaaate. So bare with me if you are on the receiving end of it.

Without blowing my own trumpet too much, how often do you see barrel shots from Jeffreys Bay, no not the ones you see all the time from the land but the water angle barrel shot. How often?? Tra la la la la la la laaaaa.

This was from yesterday afternoon when if they had their way contest organizers would have run Round 1, but I am gathering the locals said “We are having NONE of that”. Not sure why they objected it’s not like they got too many waves for themselves. Oh yes this is Kai Otton.

Today all of Round 1 was completed. I did shoot from the water and I did freeze my ass off, at least until it thawed out. Kelly Slater wore gloves during his heat, no the man is not a panzie, he is just a clever 8X World Champion with a 9th on the way!! If you want a good chuckle watch the video of Neco Padaratz demonstrating from the water to the judges how he got four barrels on his wave that only score 4 point something. In his fairness he did give me one of my good barrel shots for the day.

Round 2 will probably run tomorrow, today ‘cos I am sending this late and your reading it now. And then it could be a few lay days.

Until next time . . glove up.

No comments:

Post a Comment