Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Postcards from South Africa - JBay : 200708


Howzit & yes this postcard is late.

I’m going to stick with the excuse that I was told the network had been shut down meanwhile it has been running all this time.

As you can see, Kelly Slater won AGAIN! Four out of Five, the man continues to make history despite being 36 years old and now that Occy has retired, or has he? since he is at 90% of the events, the oldest competitor & continues to win events “to keep the number above his age”.

The last time I covered and ASP event was back in Brasil when Slater handed over the world title reigns to Mick Fanning & proceeded to declare you we wont be seeing much of him on tour. That was nine months ago and now I was shooting the prize giving of the fourth event he has won in 2008. The ONLY surfer in the ‘TOP 45’ to have won an event this year, Tahiti was won by a wildcard. Slater likes to play mind games I am guessing, going from you wont be seeing much of me to well yes I am thinking of the 9th World Title.

JBay has kept to a few traditions and then not some.
* Event started with a bang then fizzled then ended with a bang – stuck with tradition
* Kelly Slater won - somewhat of a tradition, it is his 4th win here, I think
* I got sick – tradition since last year
* I developed an Aussie twang – tradition since I cant remember when, I hang with em I gotta speak like em
* I ate a lot of crap – constant tradition
* the surf has not fired YET but Monday and Tuesday are looking set for tradition keeping – could stick to tradition
* and a new one was that my housemates laptop got stolen out of the house - Umm that is what door locks are for & hopefully something not to be repeated

I am here for another week, a week of surfing and not shooting, but plans always change.

My last night of frolicking ALONE in a Queen-size bed before relocating to a couch.

My next ASP Event takes me globe trotting back to France and Mundaka.

Until next time . . . words are words, actions apparently speak louder

Toodaloo

No comments:

Post a Comment